Monday, August 22, 2011

How it all began

So I guess I look like a guy that needsmore ways to spend money and time away from home. I say that because I play Magic or used to at Friday Night Magic, Pro Tour Qualifiers, and other decent sized events. Commander or EDH is a great format that everyone should play! I also run an Airsoft team called Wichita Tactical Airsoft. I collect pod cast (Mini's Mayham) Star Wars miniatures a wonderful game that was dropped by Wizards of the Coast. So between that a full time job, wife, and 3 great kids I have a pretty full plate.

So how did it all begin? Well thanks to a new work schedule I don't get to play any of the above mentioned games very often. If I see my wife and kids more then an hour a day it's a blessing. So how do I get time for a new game? Well that's where Mike comes in.

Mike and I met at a LGS across the parking lot from where I used to work. He had just moved to Wichita from the land of the red dirt Oklahoma. He played Warhammer 40k and I played Necromunda. We hit it off and started to hang out. His wife and my wife became great Warhammer widows. It's nice to have a couple that both wife and I can kick it with. Since this is a Warmachine blog I guess I should say I'm not a huge Games Workshop fan anymore. Sorry I don't need a $50 rule book every 2 years!

Mike has been playing Warmachine for while and it's kinda like Magic as far army building and game play since having a force that works together and combos is key. Also you don't need 100 models to play a normal sized game. The game also last about an hour or so. I'm a big fan of getting the most games out of the time I do get to play with. So I look at it and say well yea it's cool but I don't have time, paint, or figs. At this time I remember a guy I worked with before that plays Cygnar and happens to have some of the same crappy days off I do. I call Dustin up and he says he still plays and Tuesdays would work for him. Well score two for the home team. Now I have 2 guys that I A. like B. have time to play with and C. can teach me a new game that seems pretty complex.

There does seem to be something missing from the equation though models. Well Mike being a Skorne player took the dark samurai looking army so I look for other great looking figs. Well I had the Hordes Primal book and start thinking well I don't dislike any of the sculps so let look at feats, rules, and play styles. The ones that jump out are the Legion of Everblight. These guys look great! Thagrosh being able to bring back Typhon after he dies seems good. Also the Spawning Vessel making free guys that I have 4 different choices given the need seems real good. The idea of cheating points out of my list seemed real good. Then I start to look at the battle box. It's a great deal for the cost but most of the models aren't in the list I made. But I'm convinced that what I'm gunna build.

Then I call up Jerry a guy that for a while had a very high Magic rating and still hung out at one of the LGS's I played at to see if he was able to play games on my weird schedule. So far it's not looking real good but he did say he'd demo a game at a new LGS I'd never been at that has all the battle boxes painted up ready for demos (Hero Complex in Wichita a great store!) Mike calls me up and says "hey what's your daughter doing on Friday morning?" Well she's working so dad doesn't have to buy school clothes for a her why? "Damn I need a babysitter Friday." Mike I'm home with my youngest daughter he's welcome to come play with us all day. Mike and Kelly (his wife) feel like they need to pay me to watch him. I'm game since anything they pay me is getting spent on Legion figs so it all works out.

So now I'm thinking I have a faction picked out I have a wish list I'm set and ready to roll. Phone rings it's Mike hey wanna split the new 2 army box set that coming out? Well not really wanting either army so I ask him which one he likes better. Khador is his answer. Mike has always been a Ruskie lover and since Khador look very Russian he's set. Now during this time frame I ask my lovely wife which models she think look cool. She like the Menoth figs well until she see's the Wracks. So I get a call in the next day or so from Mike saying guess what I got a Battle Box of Menoth and I'll give it to you for watching my son. Well it's a start it's free and burning people is always fun. I played Redemption in Necromunda so it's not a huge stretch even though my wife was worried I'd paint them like Clansmen.

Before I get the battle box I run up to Hero Complex to demo the game with Jerry. He's going to play Cygnar's Battle Box while I run the Menoth. He's very good at teaching the game and even let's me get a caster kill for the win. I do see this is going to be a huge up hill climb learning rules but I'm pretty excited. Then Mike calls me and says the mail just came and I need to get my stuff that's cluttering his house before he throws them away. 

So now I have a caster and 3 jacks. I think hmm better have some support and after downloading the Menoth book I notice the Choir seem to be where to go. Which is where we're sitting at this point. I have my Revenger under coated black and we're ready to paint. So look forward to the up coming weeks of painting, learning, and gaming. I plan on painting some today and gaming with Dustin and Mike tomorrow afternoon. Thanks for reading and try not to burn yourself to bad.

Chris
Jokerkiller on the Privateer Press forums

No comments:

Post a Comment