Thursday, August 25, 2011

LSG goodenss

So yesterday I was a little frazzled and didn't get to mention some of the thought I had about Tuesday since my hot water heater decided to stop working. Luckily we live in the time of Youtube and I knocked out the thermocouple in about an hour.

Wichita has had a number of stores which have have a number of locations. Finding miniature gaming the first time was at Agents of Comics when it was on Central and West street. I have always loved comics so I'd go in to see what the X-men and GI Joe where up to. Then I saw Necromunda. This game was cool. It had roleplay elements with the campaign and sweet Mad Max looking figs. What the game had in coolness the store lacked in space. Now I understand large space costs large dollars. Agents has moved 3 times since that location if I remember correctly and most of the time to larger location then before. Wichita also had a store called Blue Horse Trading Company. Weird name, hard to find location, and very unmotivated employees. Nothing against the guys they where nice but instead of playing online games why not building terrain. Also if your going to have a Rouge Trader don't decide that day not to judge painting. Also if players want painting to be part of the overall score don't say "if you don't like it go to Agents". Because you know what I'm a big boy and will!

Now it may seem I'm playing favorites since I had a great time at Hero Complex the other day. What I saw at Hero Complex was the guy working. Not just being there to take my money but working. He was painting a few Space Marines and some Orks for the store demo armies. This store has every box set painted for Warmachine and Hordes. When I demo'ed Menoth it was with a fully painted battle box. Very cool! Also if we had a question about rules he did his best to help out and didn't just but in trying to rules lawyer us. The store is also clean.

I had a very interesting conversation last night about LGS's and the moral of the story is spend money where you want to KEEP playing. Honestly I'd don't swing off any of local stores. I buy what I want where I want don't feel like I need or want store "loyalty". But it really helps when what I want is in stock. When I use the restroom I feel like I should wash my hands then go. I also like to see knowledgeable and helpful people behind the counter. Now Wichita has a nice variety of store in my opinion. We have a store dedicated to Magic that has loads of singles. We have a store that can reliably get you comics and lets you stare at nice looking knowledgeable employee's. We also have one with friendly staff decent space but lacking focus.  This isn't talking about all the stores even.

Overall I enjoy the fact I can go less then 10 miles in any direction and go to a game store for one of my hobbies. But I really like seeing a new location raise the bar. It's only going to force the other stores to raise as well. A win win for Wichita.   

No comments:

Post a Comment