Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Hero Complex and 1st games


So yesterday I had to start the day figuring out how to transport my models to the game store. Seeing how I thought I'd never play a table top war game again I sold my Orks with the case. So that left me with some rather ghetto options for transport. I settled on a box with foam from a mother board in the bottom of it. Not a great plan but it worked. Then I grabbed a tape measure and off I went. Dustin and I pulled up just as the open sign was getting flipped. The store is very clean and the person working was very welcoming. I've been here only twice before up since it was empty of other customers I saw that they have 10 numbered tables and 1 labeled demo so that a lot of game space. The terrain all looked very nice.





This shows the store some in the back ground and some of the terrain we thought of using. Dustin thought that slamming or throwing one of my jacks in the water would be funny so my steam engine would go out. I'll have to look that rule up! Since we where still waiting on Mike we decided to look around. I wanted to buy a solo anyways to make my list 15 points. At the Warmachine/Hordes section I found all the models I was thinking of buying and also found out that Dustin hasn't played since MK1 rules. I decided to go with the Vassal of Menoth. It seemed best to just work on buffing the 3 jacks and keep the list Menoth only. I can always add Mercs later and I really want to learn Menoth pure before I get a model that may not be helpful. I went to pay and found the best things ever! A 6 pack of dry erase makers that have erasers on the cap for only $4.25 sold. Bringing my spending to $13.13 under the $15 limit my wife set. Then Mike shows up and we do intros and start to drool over each others paint jobs.





So the game play was fun I learned a lot. Dustin uses he focus very well. I always either didn't allocate very efficiently or wasted focus. First turn I cast Defenders Ward on the wrong jack that cost me huge since it got charged and then slammed. I managed to team up my Revenger and Crusader against the Titan Gladiator right after popping my feat. I think the difference was the fact my feat makes people get hurt real bad and the Skorne feat just made it so I lost a productive turn. Thankfully I'm not good at focus anyways so it didn't hurt me that bad. I ended up winning the game because Morghoul missed a few attacks and the Crusader didn't. I was surprised I won since Mikes army was painted and mine isn't yet. Dice gods love paint! If you notice in the picture I'm starting on the Choir next so the paint will be complete soon.

 

Next we played a 3 way 15 point game. I set up last and played like I had to find my pair. I positioned on a far corner while Mike and Dustin where very close to each other. Mike being the most experienced split his forces knowing he couldn't beat us both. The other cool thing was Mike switch to Trollbloods which lead to a funny exchange (from my side of the table anyways). Dustin asks "what no ranged attacks?" About that time Mike uses a Troll Impaler on a Cygnar light jack (don't know Cynars list very well sorry) criting Smiting the light jack back into Dustin's caster doing a huge amount of damage. Dustin did reply by wiping out all of Mikes Impalers and swordy guys..... Oh yea your reading a new guys blog I don't know all the models yet sorry. Then Mike kill Dustin's caster about the same time I get into charge range on Mikes army. Once I pop my feat and seeing I'm about to charge we decide to call the game so Dustin and Mike can get in another one.

The next game was pretty one sided since Dustin hadn't ever played against a Horde army before he didn't know how "cheater" an Agonizer was. Not being able to give focus to his 2 light jacks really hurt. Mike was using Molik Karn to move all over the place. It is a really nasty list. 
I had a really great time a day off well spent. Hero Complex is a great store I just wish it was a little closer to the house. If your ever in Wichita look it up you won't be disappointed. Nice up since I work tonight I think I'll check out some Warmachine/Hordes podcasts to see if I like them.Thanks for reading.

Chris

1 comment:

  1. The Agonizer is not cheat. He is just very annoying! LOL!!!! I will admit that list was pretty nasty for 15 points. It is a pretty good shut down list between pmorghoul's feat and the agonizer.

    ReplyDelete